Many trout streams open May 22
Several popular trout streams, especially in the NW, SW and Willamette zones, will open to trout fishing on Saturday, May 22. These streams are closed through the early spring to protect outmigrating salmon and steelhead smolts.
Looking for a place to fish?
Locations that are family-friendly, close to home
Easy Angling Oregon includes 101 family-friendly, biologist-recommended places to take the family fishing throughout the state. Don’t have a lot of time and would like to stay close to home? Here are lots of locations close to Portland, Bend, Roseburg, Medford, within Lane County and on the South Coast.
New map shows wildfire impacts on recreation
Includes a boat ramp status map
Natural resource agencies in Oregon have teamed up to create an interagency status map that shows open, closed and reduced service areas on a single map, regardless of reason for closure. The map now also includes an updated boat ramp status map.
Best bets for weekend fishing
- The Lower Columbia Tributaries, Nestucca River, Tillamook Bay and Trask River are going to be the best opportunities to catch a spring Chinook on the North Coast.
- Lost Creek and Applegate Lake have both had large recent stockings and trout fishing should be very good at both of these large Rogue Basin reservoirs with good boat access for all size vessels.
- Lower Empire Lake, Tenmile Lakes and Davis Lake are good bets for largemouth bass.
- The Rogue River above Lost Creek Reservoir will be stocked this week – the first time this season.
- The salmon fly hatch is well underway on the lower Deschutes, the Klamath River between the J.C. Boyle Dam and Power house, and in the upper Rogue in the Shady Cove area, where the trout season officially opens this Saturday.
- Anglers are picking up shad in the mainstem Umpqua, Coquille and Columbia rivers.
- Forest Service Rd. 21 to East and Paulina lakes is now open. Anglers are reporting fair trout fishing on East Lake.
- Lake trout fishing on Odell Lake has been good.
- Bass fishing is picking up in Lake Billy Chinook and Prineville Reservoir.
- Anglers report excellent smallmouth bass fishing on the Willamette River in and around Albany.
- Walleye fishing continues to be excellent in the John Day Pool of the Columbia, and good in The Dalles Pool.
Register for shotgun skills, pheasant hunting workshops
ODFW is offering several of its popular shotgun skills and pheasant hunting workshops beginning in June. A shotgun skills class is a prerequisite to a pheasant hunting workshop. These classes fill quickly, so sign up soon. See more details and register.